Support for early years
Explore your child's potential.
The early years of a child’s life are full of change, possibility and potential. Children learn by exploring and playing with others. Children who have low vision or blindness are no different, but need to develop alternative or additional ways of interacting with their environment.
Making friends, transitioning into kindergarten and primary school, moving independently with confidence, learning how to use technology — whatever milestones your child needs to achieve to feel happy and confident in the world, our children’s team are here for you and your family.
Skills for growth and development
Achieve real outcomes.
- By engaging in Mobility Training, your child will learn to confidently explore home, school and outdoor environments.
- Through learning Communication Techniques, children can better interact with friends, family, teachers and staff at kinder.
- With the support of Occupational Therapists, your child will improve confidence and independent thinking skills.
- Mobility Specialists encourage your child to identify a range of personal goals, before working to achieve them through an individual training program.
- In Orientation & Mobility training, children learn to play safely by moving more self-assuredly and developing techniques for increased awareness of the world.
- Our Orthoptists can offer education, assessment and consultation to ensure your lifestyle and environment are optimised to your vision level or abilities.
Learn about the Early Childhood Service
Early Childhood Service.
The Early Childhood Service provides support for you and your child from birth to six years of age inclusive. Throughout these crucial early years, a team of experienced specialists offer practical and emotional support to build a solid foundation for your child’s future. This includes:
- skills development training for you and your child
- connecting with health professionals, teachers, and importantly, family members to provide a safer and more inclusive environment for your child
- Assisting with the transition to school or kindergarten, and more.
Choose from our services
Children’s Mobility Services
Children’s Mobility Services teach your child how to better understand his or her environment, with techniques to confidently and safely move through those environments.
Occupational Therapy Support
Occupational Therapists are health professionals who support people of all ages to master individual skills for everyday life.
Better Start is an Australian Federal Government funding initiative for children with a disability, aged from birth to seven years.
Depending on circumstance, some children may be eligible for Better Start while others may be eligible for the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
Get financial support.
Your child may be able to access financial assistance for support programs through ‘Better Start’ or The National Disability Insurance Scheme. A funding initiative of the Australian Federal Government, Better Start supports children who require early intervention services from expert health professionals, from the age of birth to seven years.
Your child may also be eligible for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). Whether your child is eligible or not, be assured that we will always provide support regardless of your financial situation.
Free planning for the NDIS
Support coordinators offer a free pre-planning service for anyone considering the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). With a support coordinator, you can easily understand your eligibility, cut through the jargon, and get your plan together. Support coordinators work with you to set clear goals, define your needs, and reach the outcomes that enable you to live the life you want. The pre-planning service provided by support coordinators is also available if you are coming up to plan renewal.
Request a service or refer
Request a service.
We welcome referrals from parents, family members, and a wide range of health professionals. For more information on accessing early years support, children’s Orientation & Mobility training, or Occupational Therapist support, make an enquiry with the Children’s Mobility Service now.
Child Safe Policy Statement
Prioritising safety and wellbeing.
The safety and wellbeing of children is of the highest priority to Guide Dogs Victoria. We are committed to providing an environment where children and young people are safe, feel supported to share their concerns and have their voices heard.