CMS in the City
- Date | Time
- Tue 18 April, 2023 . The camp will be held over three days and two nights during the April school holidays
About the event
The Guide Dogs Victoria Children’s Mobility Service is excited to invite you to our next senior camp, CMS in the City!
CMS in the City is for senior school-aged students who are looking to connect with their peers in the dynamic Melbourne CBD environment. Students will have the opportunity to participate in a range of planned activities that will build on core social, personal and Orientation and Mobility skills. They will explore new ideas, share experiences, and of course, make new friends!
When: The camp will be held over three days and two nights during the April school holidays, from Tuesday 18 April to Thursday 20 April 2023.
Where: Christian Youth Camps (City CYC), 538 Collins Street, Melbourne. Shared accommodation is provided in comfortable, secure rooms with heating, cooling and ensuite facilities. Students will share a room with appropriate peer/s. Guide Dogs Victoria staff will be located nearby on the same floor as the students.
Who: The camp is best suited to senior school-aged students. The program will be staffed and facilitated by Guide Dogs Victoria Orientation and Mobility Specialists and Occupational Therapists.
Program goals: Through planned activities and travel within the busy CBD environment, students will build on their:
- public transport skills;
- social skills, such as group strategy, decision-making and inclusivity;
- self-advocacy skills;
- critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- risk assessment and decision-making skills; and
- ability to use technology and apps to plan travel and activities.
Activities: Students will work together to decide and plan the timetable from a range of fun activities available in the CBD which may include:
- Rock climbing or bowling.
- Chocolate tour.
- Boat trip.
- Visiting popular tourist destinations and Melbourne landmarks.
Cost: $2,600 per student.
Guide Dogs Victoria Group Programs and Camps costs
The cost to attend Guide Dogs Victoria Group Programs and Camps is based on NDIS guidelines which cover the Therapy service delivered by the Practitioners supporting the program. Our therapist-student ratio is low to maximise each participant’s learning and skill development. The cost of activities, travel, accommodation and food is covered by the generosity of our supporters. Programs and Camps can be funded under several different line items. When applying to attend you will be asked to confirm how you will pay.
1. Innovative Community Participation NDIS reference number: 04_210_0125_6_1 Unit cost item, specific to the program.
2. Community Participation Activities NDIS reference number 09_011_0125_6-3 Unit cost item, specific to the program.
RSVP: Please register your expression of interest for this camp by calling us on 1800 804 805. Once you have registered your expression of interest, an application form will be sent to you to complete. Places are strictly limited. Please express your interest as soon as possible to ensure you don’t miss out!
Contact: If you require any further information about this program, please contact your Support Coordinator (if applicable) or call our
Customer Service Team on 1800 804 805.