Guide Dogs Victoria provides high quality training to maximize the independence of people living with low vision or blindness. Our professional services extend beyond the provision of guide dogs, and include innovative children’s mobility programs, orientation and mobility training for adults and people living with an acquired brain injury (ABI), and social networking programs to support active community participation. Guide Dogs Victoria is also Australia’s most trusted charity and an employer of choice in the disability sector. Our staff enjoy an inclusive and collaborative working environment where talent is recognised and innovation is encouraged.
Guide Dogs Victoria currently has a vacancy for an experienced professional to join our team in the role of Guide Dog Trainer. The responsibilities will include:
- Assessing and training accepted dogs to a standard of readiness for allocation to clients who are blind or have low vision;
- Training dogs using positive reinforcement methodology to Guide Dogs Australia quality standards;
- Reviewing dogs for their temperamental and physical suitability in line with our assessment schedule; and
- Working in collaboration with other highly skilled staff across our dog facilities, puppy development and Guide Dog Mobility Instructors to ensure the success of our Guide Dogs.
Requirements for this role:
- Qualified Guide Dog Trainer as certified by an IGDF-accredited Guide Dog organisation;
- Solid understanding of the principles of dog learning, and a commitment to positive reinforcement;
- A commitment to live the Values and Behaviours of Guide Dogs Victoria;
- A strong client and customer focus and a commitment to person centered service practices; and
- A strong alignment with the vision of Guide Dogs Victoria in delivering independence to people with low vision or blindness.
A competitive remuneration package is available commensurate with skills and experience, which includes tax free salary packaging. Applications (including a Cover letter and Resume) to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guide Dogs Victoria welcomes applications from people with disability, including those with low visionp and blindness. We acknowledge the rights of people with disabilities to have equal opportunity for participation in meaningful employment and are committed to increasing the representation of people with disability in our workforce.